According to the regulation No. 38 for year 1994, a specified legalisation for Electronic Computer Center (ECC) establishment, ECC holds a Board of Directors including the president of university or a representative, head of computer science department at science faculty and a number of professors with scientific degree of Assistant Professor and higher in addition to the center 's director. The Board of Directors defines the annual plan and policies, as the proposal of annual budget and staff state of the center.
Computer Center Board of Directors
Vision and Mission
The Computer Center seeks to develop abilities and skills in the field of computer and information technology not only to employees of the university, but also to other government and private institutions as well. One of the most important priorities of the Center is to build an affective e-government which should exceed all the negatives that accompany the traditional paper works.
The Computer Center looks forward to engaging all the university Staff in obligatoryobligatory computer courses to enable them using computer as a required and to develop their own abilities in the field of information systems. Such a plan will prepare them to deal efficiently with databases, electronic systems and the internet .Moreover, the Center seeks to provide technical and advisory support to government institutions through contributing in building and marketing electronic and database systems in accordance with those institutions actual needs.
The Organizational Structure of ECC
1. Programming Division: This division deals with the analysis and designing systems using modern programming languages. It is also responsible for designing applications needed by various ministries as well as private sector organizations. Moreover it is responsible for ALNahrain University website and its detailed database feeding and back up process.
2. Continuous Education Division: The division is concerned with training and rehabilitating employees through academic training programs prepared by the center. Egovernment work is the major part that this division is responsible for.
3. Networks Division: It is concerned with the task of constructing a wireless network within the university to connect all the university formations by utilizing all possible resources.
4. Maintenance Division: The task of this division is maintaining the electronic devices such as printers, computers and portable devices. It also runs and maintains the electronic networks.
5. Studies and Planning Division: This division is responsible for preparing field research measuring the training and development courses that are necessary for the university formations.
6. Administrative and Financial Division: This division is concerned with the completion of administrative work at the center in coordination with other divisions at it. It lists dates of future activities and facilitates participation in those courses and training sessions. Besides, this division is responsible mainly for accounting and financial audit at the Center.
The Computer Center was founded under the Ministerial Order No. 4460 on 30/10/2014. AL-Nahrain University has meant the Computer Center to work as an independent institution, similar to other centers at several Iraqi universities.The importance of this step is for organizing tasks and objectives assigned to the center to establish an e-government to regulate administrative work for colleges and other research centers in the university. Part of the center tasks is training university employees on computer programs and providing support for governmental institutions to help them for managing their business systems. Moreover, the center also participates in the elearning provided by AVI-CENNA Center at Al-Nahrain University. The latter was established to convert the classical lecture work into electronic one to include both teaching staff and students alike. The computer Center is to create a rich and interactive environment based on computer technologies and the internet facilities that enable students to access learning resources at any time and from anywhere.
Computer Center looks forward to achieving the following objectives:
1. Connecting all the university formations within a unified government network to reduce paper work in official correspondence. This will also reduce time consumed for the accomplishment of certain tasks and increase the accuracy and speed of tasks accomplishment.
2. Developing the skills and capacity of all users and prepare them for better use of electronic data systems.
3. Establishing a central multi-dimensional databases that contribute in providing a rich information environment for AL-Nahrain University presidency Offices. This will enable these offices to analyze and evaluate the data that is going to be part of a later admin and academic decision-making.
4. Drawing on the fact that electronic education is not a substitute for traditional education, the center attempts to provide e-education as an integrative part to the traditional education. In cooperation with the Iraqi Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, the UNESCO worked to establish a center in every Iraqi university to transform studying bags into electronic ones that should be available to all students at all time. Changing all the Course Portfolio into electronic courses is a major part in the establishment of the Center which also support and back up AVI-CENNA Center for E-learning at AL-Nahrain University, including satisfying its technical and scientific needs to achieve its objectives. The establishment of the Computer Center at the university was preceded by determining the needs and requirements of the center by a detailed workshop, which was held at the University of Kufa prior to its establishment. There, a director with two other experts were nominated to lead the Center.
5. Cooperating with other private and governmental institutions to develop their employees’ skills and provide electronic databases systems for the purpose of marketing them to those institutions as satisfies their needs.
6. Supporting scientific research by providing developed laboratories where internationally accredited scientific specifications are available. The center is responsible in following up the teaching staff activities and researchers through the use of Iraqi virtual library (IVSL).
7. Updating the design as well as the database of AL-Nahrain University website. The university website is one of the most important factors that measure the progress of the university in comparison to other international universities.
8. The Computer Center can help other Iraqi institution by establishing and maintaining build their own wire or wireless networks due to the fact that AL-Nahrain University has embraced a highly-qualified scientific staff in the field of advanced network engineering.
9. Granting international certificates through direct tests after coordinating with national and international institutions.
10. The Center seeks to establish Clouding System to utilize all the resources in the best way.